The HTML Editor list provided as a help to choose between the various programs out there. HTML is an ASCII markup language and can be completely coded in a text editor. Some feel most comfortable doing just that. The best editors combine a design view with a strong coding view so you can switch between either. The better editors also tend to create better code that looks good across multiple browsers and isn’t bloated with sloppy html. The list below are programs I have either personal experience with or are recognized leaders or both.
HTML Editors List
- The professional choice for building web sites and applications
- A powerful combination of visual layout tools, application development features, and code editing support
- Developers and designers can create appealing, standards-based sites and applications quickly
- Developers can use it with the server technology of their choice to build powerful Internet applications
- Includes leading support for CSS-based design to hand-coding features
|CoffeeCup HTML Editor
- Free Support & Free Upgrades for Life
- Rocking HTML & CSS Code Completion
- Our Open from Web function lets you view and edit code right off the internet. A great resource for learning HTML.
- The DHTML Menu Builder is the tool you’ve been waiting for! Now you can make sharp looking dropdown menus in minutes, no scripting experience necessary!
- Fast & Simple Image and Link Inserting
- Wizards for Frames, Tables, Forms, Fonts & more
- Easy Drag & Drop WYSIWYG Visual Editor
- Upload your webpages with a click of the mouse! Our Right-Click FTP and Built-in FTP Program keeps website updates simple.
- Full-Featured HTML Code Editor with Quickstart
- Unbelievable Project Management features
- Built in SiteMapper Creator
- A BIG bag of snazzy Graphics included
- Spelling mistakes and typos are a thing of the past with our Active Spell Check feature. The HTML Editor will check for errors as you type, right-click the selection for the correct spelling.
- Are you worried that your page uses an older version of HTML? Worry no longer, we have added an XHTML conversion tool to convert those old pages
- New stand alone Free FTP client included with HTML Editor 2007!
- Since more of you are using our program for other types of code, likeXHTML and PHP we added their tags to the program as well.
- Cross Browser compatibility is important, and testing in different browsers can be annoying and time consuming. The HTML Editor allows quick and easy browsing with any installed web browser.
- HTML Editor has CoffeeCup SiteMapper built right in, no charge.
- Our Table Wizard guides you step by step to creating stable HTML tables. Beginners will appreciate the WYSIWYG interface.
- Highlighting your HTML tags makes webpage building easier. Customize your Tag Highlighting Options to fit your style.
|NetObjects Fusion Essentials
- Drag and drop layouts
- Site Management Tools
- Upload files with built-in FTP
- Form builder
- Photo Gallery
- e-commerce tool
- Custom shape tools
- Rollover images
- Insert custom HTML and scripts
- Flash, Quicktime, and more
- A full-featured but easy to use visual (WYSIWYG) HTML editor for creating web pages.
- Our freeware visual editor is actually powered by Microsoft Internet Explorer. So you can always be sure you are seeing exactly what you will get.
- Color-coded HTML source (tag) editor. You can switch between HTML source and visual modes at any
time with a click of the mouse, and any changes you have made will instantly be reflected in both modes.
- Preview mode lets you instantly see what your finished web page will look like in Microsoft Internet Explorer.
- Included webpage templates and direct access to hundreds of free website templates to give you a fast start on creating a great looking site.
- Drag-and-drop Form Builder makes it fast and easy to create powerful web forms.
- Built-in integration with our form processing service, so you can make your web forms work almost instantly with no programming, scripts, or technical knowledge required.
- Built-in in integration with our web knowledgebase, so you can easily add a 24×7 customer service system that will answer your customers’ questions instantly.
NoteTab is a leading-edge text and HTML editor. Winner of software industry awards since 1998, this application does it all: it easily handles a stack of huge files; lets you format text to your heart’s content; does system-wide searches, and multi-line global replacements. It even corrects your spelling mistakes.
Build document templates, add bookmarks, convert text to HTML on-the-fly, and take charge of your code. Use a simple, power-packed scripting language to create anything from a text macro to a mini-application.
- Create a Web Site with Drag-and-Drop Simplicity
- Choose from Over 135 Professionally-Designed Website Templates
- No Programming Required with Automatically Generating HTML Code
- Easy to Use Tools like Search Engine Optimization and Flash Creation
- $35 Credit in Google Advertising
Professional Design Environment
Get more done with software that works the way you do. With task panes and menus just where you need them, you’re free to concentrate on design. Import Adobe Photoshop files to create your website graphics.
Standards Based Site Design
Reach for a tool that’s been built with today’s modern standards in mind, and see results in better browser rendering and more relevant search engine indexing. Expression Web builds sites to XHTML, CSS, XML, and XSLT, making sure your pages are compliant throughout the design process.
Separate design from content with Cascading Style Sheets-the complex technology that’s behind today’s modern sites. Expression Web’s design-focused tools show you a visual hierarchy of styles, give you drag-and-drop control of margins, and offer many other ways to make working with CSS easy.
CSS Site Templates
Jump right in with Expression Web’s professionally designed, standards-compliant site templates in a broad range of categories. Or make your own CSS designs from a host of DIV-based layouts.
CSS Style Application
Choose between automatically generated CSS styles or generate them manually for absolute control over the type of rule created and its precise location. The choice is yours.
Get a visual overview of where CSS rules are created, where they’re located, and their application order with Expression Web’s industry-leading CSS management tools. It’s never been easier to manage complex CSS in a site.
Property Task Pane
See at a glance the full range of CSS and tag attributes available to you from either of the property task panes. You can reorder the list to find just what you need, or get a summary of "in use” CSS properties for fast reference.
Rich Data Presentation
Show that XML data who’s master! Simply drag and drop an XML file and it’s immediately rendered by an XSL stylesheet that you can reformat to match your site’s style. Now you can include, filter and sort and style data from any XML source easily.
Harness the power of ASP.NET with a wide variety of controls, including navigation, calendars, logins and database integration. No coding is needed, as they’re all rendered within the design surface.
Edit PHP pages
Broaden your scope by now editing PHP sites with Expression Web 2. Apply the full set of standards based design tools to a wider range of sites.
Hypertext Markup Language (HTML) is the language that web pages use to represent the information contained in a web page. When you view a web page your browser loads and interprets text in an html file and displays that information graphically on your browser. Even the images you are viewing are instructions in the HTML file that tell the browser “show an image here” and other similar commands. Anyone who wishes to create quality web pages needs to become familiar with the syntax and rules of HTML.
Since web pages consist primarily of html files that are strictly text based, it is possible to construct web pages using a simple text editor like notepad. The job becomes more tedious for elaborate web pages and sites that have content that you want to remain consistent across. Toward that end, HTML Editors have been created to aid the webmaster in creating elaborate and consistent web pages for a site.
The best editors have both a WYSIWYG (What you see is what you get) design workspace as well as an ability to code html directly. The design workspace allows the webmaster to create his content graphically and quickly, seeing the results as he goes. Unfortunately, even the best graphical interfaces create bloated html code and it is necessary to go directly into the code to tweak the html.
While basic html editing is very simple and even a novice can create a simple web page, there are intermediate to advanced techniques to web design including the inclusion of applets and scripts that take time and instruction to learn. Beyond the technical aspects, there are asthetic or artistic aspects of web design that create a “feel” for a website that are more difficult to teach and are reflections of artistic talent.
Given the breadth of the subject, an exhaustive discussion of web design or even the intricacies of html editors, I’ll merely recommend some books. Those who have the time and interest in building their own web pages should consider the HTML editors and resources below. A great way to build quick content, and learn HTML along the way, is to use pre-made web templates built by professionals. Businesses more concerned with getting a professional site online should consider hiring a professional web designer to build their website.